Sunday, 4 March 2012

Chickens, a lovely beginning, a sad ending.

Here goes another lesson in life!

Our favourite pet of late is our chickens. So much that the dogs are jealous the chooks get all the attention now. Rusty is jealous of the chooks getting most of the food scraps, he has even been eating their feed (the dog droppings around the yard are now speckeldy!).
Our chickens are doing great, getting along with the dogs and having fun just roaming the yard. Master 5 has become our chook wrangler, and confidently catches one when he is home, to cuddle up to for an half hour or so!

This morning Miss 3 was in the chook pen patting her chicken (a sadly, skinny looking one, DH and I had decided wont live long), the only one she was ever able to catch by herself. I walked by and she asked me "is this one dead?"
Bugger, DH is on night shift so had not long gone to bed for the day, so clean up duties fell on me (how unusual). So, to get the 'unfit for here' chicken out of the pen, I first had to make sure the rascally dog did not discover it, nor catch me burying it. Half an hour later I had a hole deep enough I hope the dog does not sniff it out. Making sure both children knew what had happened, we discussed the chicken going to heaven, not a new concept for Master 5 but something unusual for Miss 3. She kept asking why god wanted our chicken, her favourite chicken.
To take their mind off the deceased chook, I offered up some craft for the morning. As they were doing their collages, Master 5 declared he was going to bury his masterpiece so the chook could have it in heaven, how thoughtful!
And then there were 5, lets hope they start laying us some eggs soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment