Saturday, 7 December 2013

Helping or hindering??

How do you know when to step in for your kids?

For me, today, a moment came when Master 6 had lined up for about half an hour to get on a duel jumping castle (where you challenge other people off a podium). All of a sudden he came over to me in tears, because the other kids wouldnt let him have a go because he didnt have someone to challenge him.
So, using my best kind Mummy voice, I told those kids they were not being fair. Just beacuse they didnt really know Master 6, didnt mean he had to miss out. I mentioned how I had seen him waiting while other pairs of children just pushed their way past Master 6, and he watched them waiting for his turn. So then I mentioned if anyone would go on with him, and the boys at the front just stared, and a girl half way down the line stepped up and agreed to go on. And because they had pushed past Master 6 and made him wait so long, I also made the kids let Master 6 go on next. I dont think they were too happy about my interruption of their dictatorship, but as the ride was a free one and being monitored by juniors, something had to be said.
I was so happy this girl was mature enough to give up her spot in line with her friend, to help my son get his turn, and we made sure she was thanked at the end, Master 6 shaking her hand for a good game.
I am proud of my son for his patience to wait so long, and I think he learnt a big lesson too. He didnt get angry, he was patient and waited his turn (never giving up his spot at the front of the line!), and when, eventually, things got beyond his control (older kids can be intimidating), he came and asked for help, albeit upset.

There are no rules to say when you should help your kids, or let them learn the lesson coming, but I believe as a parent, you know when your child needs help, and it is our responsibility to show them the right way to do things. I know we cant always be there for them, but just sometimes, it is good to show them we have their back!

No comments:

Post a Comment