Monday, 6 August 2012

Friends, family and camping.

This weekend our goal was to go camping.

Done! Yay, we had a great time.

A quiet evening by a fantastic bonfire with some easy going friends and we had a lovely time.

Though, I must say it was cold. We have not had many camping experiences to date, gear which we thought sufficient to see us through. But I was wrong. Our sleeping bags are nice and warm, but I can't recall ever using them in the middle of winter. And last night, warm is something I was not. I ended up with 5 layers on top and 3 on bottom with 2 pairs of socks and a beanie. Little Miss 3 was coated with as much clothing as me, although her sleeping bag (we thought she had a proper one), is only a kids cheapie. It was teamed with a nice warm quilt, which I had to keep getting up to wrap back around her. She often woke throughout the night complaining of the cold and pushing her blankets off. Our stuff during the night became really cold, and to touch felt like it was wet, which is why I assume she was kicking them off. Every time I put the blankets back on her she made me rub them until they were warm.

When I was not readjusting her blankets, trying to warm back up under my own blankets, she still kept me awake by chatting in her sleep. Firstly about patting the 'bucking bull', then had a giggle over feeding the horse apples, and every other hour she was chatting about something but I was too cold and tired to remember what they were about. Many more giggles is all I can remember, and one scared No shouting segment! Very cute, but extremely tiring at the same time.

Master 5 had a great sleep, and did not stir at all until the morning. As did my DH.
The morning in the camper was great, the canvas is pretty heavy and the kids stayed asleep until just before 7, it was nice and dark in the tent. Hopefully in summer the darkness will prevail and keep us cool-ish too!

In the morning we got up and stoked the fire back up to warm us while we waited for the sun to warm things up. Whilst sitting there, I noticed water start to drip rather quickly off the roof of our friends house, and then realised it must have frosted overnight and it was now melting.

Kids beds ready.
I got too tired last night to finish this blog, and it is now monday morning. Today we are having a dog trainer out to help us with our terrible puppy. It is kind of a last resort for us, to help us get him to stop chewing absolutely everything. We know it is a puppy stage, but has been ongoing for too long now, and we want it to be done with. It has been hard not too pass him on to a new home, so will see how this training goes.
Tent, set up.
Kids asleep.
Going to bed.



1 comment:

  1. Well no one can complain that you don't give things a fair go! Perhaps camping in Spring might be more comfortable?

    Glad the kids enjoyed themselves.

    ReplyDelete